The work-up for women begins with a discussion of medical history and lifestyle issues
The Topics Covered
- Menstrual history
- Pregnancy history
- Birth control history
- History of sexually transmitted diseases
- Current sexual patterns
- Surgical history
- Other significant health problems
- Lifestyle and work environment
The Physical Examination
- Thyroid exam- the doctor will examine your thyroid with their fingers, feeling for any abnormalities
- Hair distribution- the physician will look for any unusual or excessive hair patterns on your face and body, indicating a possible increase in male hormones which could affect your fertility
- Pelvic examination- to inspect the cervix, looking for signs of unusual growths, sores, discharge, or infection. Often a Pap smear is done to check for cervical cancer and cervical mucus is examined for possible infections.
If these tests do not explain your difficulty conceiving, additional tests may be ordered.
– Content courtesy of Resolve